BitX Banner
Are You a Small Business in Need of Fast Funding?
800-824-2407 | [email protected]

Three Silly Reasons Your Taxes Are High

Reasons Your Taxes Are High

Avoiding Tax Filing Mistakes:

A Comprehensive Guide for Small Business Owners

Filing taxes can bring a great sigh of relief, signaling the completion of a crucial financial task. However, the journey doesn’t end there. It’s important to recognize that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) scrutinizes each submitted return through a computer screening process. Any errors or inaccuracies can result in significant penalties. In this blog post, we will delve into three common tax filing mistakes often made by small business owners and provide comprehensive solutions to help you avoid them.

Apply Now

Section 1: Not Itemizing Expenses

Have you considered itemizing your expenses? Many people, especially those with higher incomes, overlook this option. Simply calculate and compare your potential itemized deductions to the standard deduction based on your filing status. Even without owning a home, there are detailed deductions like state and local income taxes. Substantial medical costs or student loan interest can significantly lower taxable income. Students can reduce taxable income by up to $4,000 by considering tuition fees and dues.

Section 2: Neglecting to Categorize Your Medical Expense Reimbursement Plan

If your spouse is employed by your small business, failing to include them as an employee can result in missed opportunities for a Medical Expense Reimbursement Plan (MERP). Through a MERP, you can cover tax-free medical expenses that aren’t covered by insurance, such as office co-pays. However, not including your spouse as an employee could prevent you from establishing a reimbursement plan for medical expenses, ultimately hindering your ability to deduct them at the business level. These deductions are otherwise not deductible due to the 10% Adjusted Gross Income limit. By including your spouse as an employee, you can also extend these tax benefits to your children, effectively maximizing your overall tax savings.

Section 3: Understanding Tax Preparer Errors and How to Correct Them

Hiring a reliable tax preparer eases the tax burden, but mistakes can still happen. Imagine someone who sought help from a preparer but found out at the IRS office that their return was filled out incorrectly. Multiple agents had to correct the errors, causing delays. More than 60% of tax returns have errors each year. To avoid problems, research and evaluate your tax preparer’s expertise in complex tax laws. Choose someone who can submit accurate and timely returns. Though preparers are human and make mistakes, a diligent selection process reduces risks.

Section 4: Solutions for Tax Mistakes and Choosing the Right Preparer

To address potential tax mistakes, you have the option to choose between the standard deduction and itemized deductions. The standard deduction provides a fixed amount that reduces your taxable income, varying according to your filing status. For the 2022 tax year, the standard deduction was $12,000 for single filers or those married filing separately, $24,000 for married couples filing jointly or qualifying widows (er)s, and $18,000 for heads of household. Additionally, if you are 65 years or older or visually impaired, your standard deduction may increase further. On the other hand, itemized deductions allow you to deduct specific expenses, providing more flexibility based on your unique circumstances. By carefully evaluating which deduction method minimizes your tax liability, you can make an informed decision that maximizes your financial benefits.

When selecting a tax preparer, it is crucial to prioritize their qualifications and experience. Look for someone who possesses the necessary training and holds a registered IRS tax preparer identification number (PTIN). Additionally, seek out professionals who pay meticulous attention to detail, engage in thorough discussions about your returns, demonstrate critical thinking skills, and exhibit competence in mathematics. Consider asking for references or seeking recommendations from trusted sources to further ensure the credibility and expertise of your chosen tax preparer.

Why BitX Funding for Business Tax Liabilities

BitX Funding is an excellent choice for business loans to cover business taxes due to its flexible financing options, including business lines of credit, short-term business loans, and small business term loans.

With BitX Funding, businesses can access the necessary funds quickly and efficiently, ensuring timely payment of their tax obligations. Whether it’s a short-term cash flow issue or a need for a more substantial loan, BitX Funding offers tailored solutions to meet the specific financial needs of businesses. By leveraging their business line of credit, businesses can access funds as needed and only pay interest on the amount utilized, providing flexibility and cost-effectiveness.

Alternatively, short-term business loans and small business term loans offer fixed loan amounts with manageable repayment terms, allowing businesses to effectively manage their tax liabilities.

With BitX Funding, businesses can obtain the financial support they need to cover their tax obligations and maintain smooth operations, ultimately facilitating their growth and success.


Filing taxes accurately is crucial for financial stability, avoiding penalties, and audits. Learn common mistakes and solutions to minimize errors. Choose an experienced tax preparer with qualifications and attention to detail. Take proactive steps for peace of mind in tax filing.


Posts You May Like